Sunday, March 11, 2012

Les Petits Riens, books and movies

During the weekend we also went to a antique/ second hand store called Les Petits Riens (little nothings). They wouldn't sell us one bureau that we were interested in since it was part of an ensemble, and we didn't want the rest of the furniture. The rest of the furniture weren't that impressive, nor was the clothes but in the book section we found a bit of cheap treasures. M bought some fiction and a guide to DC (he has his other one in Finland and needs one for his trip in a couple of weeks) and I bought two paper backs.

It wasn't before we were home when I realized they both are situated in New York. Looking forward to the trip in May! I assured myself it was OK to buy chick lit since the other one was in French. Today I actually finished the other book, the very sophisticated and intellectual "Summer in the City" - the prequal to Sex and the City by Candace Bushnell. It was so interesting to read how Carrie met Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte, that I read the over 400 page book entirely on Sunday. Quite an easy read.

My recent choices in movies compensate though the shallow books. We watched J. Edgar on Friday, which is based on the life of the founder of the FBI and portrays his life very well. It was a touching movie and though I was tired in the beginning after a hectic work week, I managed to stay awake and watch it all.

With my colleagues we went to watch the Iron Lady a few weeks ago. We all agreed that it was very good, even our Brit. It gave fair picture of Margaret Thatcher and Maryl Streep did a great job deserving her third Oscar. It jumped a lot between the past and present and at leas I wouldn't have minded seeing more of her career at it's height.

Both J. Edgar and the Iron Lady are worth watching, giving an insight into the lives of prominent leaders. They are made well enough to be very entertaining and not to be at all like boring documentaries. Which they certainly are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment